LAKE JACKSON, Texas, Apr 29, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Supporters of 2012 Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul won yesterday’s Louisiana caucus, securing an overwhelming majority of winnable delegates to the June Republican state convention that will affect the weight of the Paul delegation to the August Republican National Convention in Tampa.
Preliminary results from the Louisiana Republican Party indicate that Ron Paul supporters won majorities in Congressional Districts 1, 2, 5, and 6, with a narrow decision having occurred in District 4. This means Ron Paul supporters won about four and a half of the six Congressional District caucus conventions held yesterday.
In each CD the top 25 delegates will go to the state convention on June 2nd in Shreveport. Yesterday, 111 out of 150 or 74 percent of delegates elected today were in fact Ron Paul delegates. The Louisiana state GOP soon will award 30 additional delegates.
A “conservative slate” ran a partially combined slate with establishment-moderate Mitt Romney in CDs 1, 2 and 4. In each of those districts Ron Paul supporters required more votes than all of their opponents combined. Remarkably, supporters of the 12-term Congressman from Texas accomplished this in CDs 1 and 2, but fell just short of this in CD 4, which is why the decision was split.
Taken together, victories across four and half CDs mean that Ron Paul supporters are likely to control the outcome of the state convention in June.
To be sure, a win on this scale gives Ron Paul supporters a majority of yesterday’s elected delegates and the ability to choose most of the at-large delegates, as well as the three National Delegates from CDs 1, 2, 5, and 6.
- Ron Paul wins Louisiana Caucus (thechristianconstitutionalist.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul Louisiana Caucus results, please post here! (dailypaul.com)
- Sore Losers? (thechristianconstitutionalist.wordpress.com)
- The #RonPaul Supporters #Creed – Messege 2 #GOP (melissakirst.wordpress.com)
- Actually, Ron Paul Is Secretly Winning A Lot More Delegates Than You Think (dailypaul.com)
- Ron Paul wins Minnesota and Iowa – Romney lollygags along as the media darling (postamericana.wordpress.com)